What is K9 Nosework?
• Great activity for all breeds and mixed breeds of dogs
• Can be helpful for reactive and fearful dogs as only one dog works at a time and all other dogs are safely in crates. In addition dogs learn that hunting is more rewarding than reacting.
• Teaches independence. Dogs do not have to look to us for answers. They have the answer, and we learn to read them. It is a great way for us to learn their language while building communication and confidence.
• We work inside initially but then search exterior spaces, vehicles, and containers.
• Lots of opportunity for competition, but that is definitely not required. This activity can be performed purely for the joy of working together with your dog, doing what they love best.
• No prior obedience training required.
“The purpose of K9 Nose Work® is to engage the dog in the game of nose work and to teach the handler how to read their dog and build a team relationship while having fun. Nose Work is a great skill to develop in the dog that can build the dog’s confidence, reduce environmental sensitivity, and provide mental and physical exercise through teamwork with their handler”. (Ron Gaunt, Jill Marie O’Brien, Amy Herot – founders of K9 Nose Work®)
Introduction to K9 Nosework is a wonderful bonding opportunity for any dog and handler. If you have a dog with a nose, you have a K9 Nose Work Dog! K9 Nose Work is a fun, search, and scenting activity that enables dogs to use their natural abilities to hunt. It starts out with the dog using his nose to seek out hidden rewards in one of several boxes. As your dog becomes more confident with his nose, the game expands to entire rooms, exterior areas, and vehicles. Dogs without prior training or dog sports experience can experience success early and there are plenty of opportunities for those interested in competing to find challenges to enjoy with your dog. The best part is how much fun it is for the handler and the dog. It brings out the best in your dog, and brings you both closer by bringing you into your dog’s world. Prerequisite: none Please contact us with any questions: info@KellarsCanineAcademy.com